Thursday, December 20, 2012

I LOVE my job!

There are times that being an elementary school counselor can be very stressful.  There are times that we may feel pulled in many directions.  There are times that we wonder if we are making a difference.  There are times that we question our effectiveness.

Even through the midst of doubt there are numerous times that make everything worth it!  Here is my "Christmas List."  Instead of making a list of things that I want to receive, I have made a list of why I absolutely love and treasure my job!

Top 10 Reasons I LOVE my job:


  1. I work with EVERY student in the school.
  2. I help kiddos calm down when upset.
  3. I am able support teachers during stressful situations.
  4. I get the reward of watching kiddos grow from kindergarten to 5th grade.
  5. I am able to provide a safe place for students, parents and teachers to talk and share.
  6. I work with AMAZING people!
  7. I work in a community that embraces and supports anyone and everyone.
  8. I still get to teach!
  9. I get to advocate for kids.
  10. I have the privilege of organizing our "Adopt a Family" program and see the joy on the faces of the parents who did not know if their kids would get to have Christmas.


This Christmas will be horribly difficult for many due to the recent events in Newtown, CT.  I hope everyone takes a minute to reflect on why they do their jobs, especially those who work with children.  Being a counselor and former teacher has its ups and downs but I cannot imagine a more rewarding career!

Happy Holidays to all!


1 comment:

  1. I’m not a school counselor but believe me, I feel you Emily! I’m really happy and contented when I’m able to help my friends with their problems. I wonder, “What more if you can help those little kids get through a bad day?” I can imagine – it must be a very wonderful feeling! :)

    - Ismael Kennedy

    ReplyDelete