Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Google Drive...Yes, please!

Where has Google Drive been all my life???!!!

In an effort to become more organized, I began a Counseling Notebook to house all of my important documentation and information.  You can read about this notebook in a previous post.  I love this notebook and am very happy with the way it has kept me organized.

I will still use my Notebook for certain things but I was able to convert a few of my forms to Google Drive, thanks to the brilliant work of Andrea J Burston at JYJ Counselor Blog and Traci at Elementary School Counselor's Blog.  You can click on their blog names to check out the forms they created.  They use Google Drive for Minutes Meetings (stay tuned as I explore this during this school year) and the students that have been seen for the year.  I recreated these same documents and I am so excited to use them this year.

I was thinking of other ways I document throughout my program to see how else I could incorporate this wonderful bit of technology.  I created a Parent Communication Log form on Google Drive.  I currently keep this in my notebook and it ends up taking up so much space.  Google Drive automatically keeps a spreadsheet for all of my parent communications eliminating the need for paper copies. I'm all about saving the trees.....and my time!

I added all of the links right to my iPad for easy access (they look just like apps).

I am still thinking about other ways I can use Google Drive in my program and will post others that I come up with.  How do you use Google Drive in your counseling program?



20 comments:

  1. Hi Emily!

    Since I travel between buildings, Google Drive has really simplified my life. I used to have to make three copies of everything and file it at each of my offices. Now I just scan it and I'm good to go!

    I also use Google Forms on Google Drive for referrals for small groups and to distribute resources (coats/boots & Christmas).

    I wrote a little bit about it here: http://www.thehelpfulcounselor.com/10-favorite-elementary-counseling-resources/

    Best Wishes,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, thanks for the mention! What are at idea to use google drive for parent contacts. I'm still looking for new ideas to use google drive to simplify my life. Let me know if you have at other ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime, Traci! I will definitely let you know if I think of anything else. Please do the same!

      ~Emily

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the mention Emily. Google Drive is a school counselor must have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not going to lie... was a bit doubtful of this post upon my first reading! Came back and read it again and started experimenting! Think this may be a lifesaver for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel! I was skeptical at first, too. It has some awesome features with the spreadsheets. I figured out that when you customize your spreadsheets, you can set Conditional Formating for each column. For example, on one of my surveys, I needed to know whether I need to follow up with a student. I formated the column to highlight the "yes" boxes a bright color so it would stand out. I'm telling you, I am so excited to use it!

      Let me know if you think of any other ways to use Google Drive!

      ~Emily

      Delete
  5. Hi Emily! We've used it at counselor meetings ... someone takes the notes and everyone who is logged in can add their thoughts and/or have a copy of the notes. I also LOVE that you can post a document there and then link it back to the blog so readers can download a copy if they want. Kind of a "pro bono" way to collaborate and help one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that idea, Barbara! Do you make a survey type document like the one above? How do the other counselors log in to see it and contribute? I am new to Google Drive so I apologize if my questions sound silly.

      ~Emily

      Delete
    2. Well, now I wish I knew that answer ... I've never had to initiate the log in at the meetings ... it's usually an I.T. person. But once we're on and have "permission" we can all contribute ... it's pretty cool.

      Delete
  6. Im new to google drive also (and about to start my first job as a school counselor!:) )but I am pretty sure you can create word documents also and share them through google drive maybe thats what she was referring to. And there is a "share" feature where you would invite people via email to be able to view your document.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am planning to use it for a time/task analysis this year. I created a form that will allow me to track what I am doing and how much time I am spending on it. This will help me to collect data and I am hoping that this information will help drive my program. Example: If I notice that I am seeing many 3rd graders for bullying, then I will know that I need to deliver another lesson on bullying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the parent communication log...I just created one for this year! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen,

      Check out my new post about noteCounselor. I found it after I posted about Google Drive. It is awesome!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What choices do you include in your drop down menu for who you spoke to?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would you be willing to share your forms? I am a new school Counselor and would love to implement these forms. My email is ccastromtz03@gmail.com if you would like to share. Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete