Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My office...I love it!

Welcome to my office!  I am so excited about my room this year!  I feel like it has really come together and is working really well for all the kiddos I see.  I really do not like overhead lights so you will notice that I have many lamps throughout my room.  I like the calmer light much better! 
Thanks for taking the tour of my office!


This is the bulletin board outside my office where I display all of my classroom lesson Newsletters.


My Door:
I have a small mailbox with little notes that say, "I came to see you" so students can
leave me a note if I am not there or my door is closed.


Right outside my door I have a magnetic board that shows where I am located (if I remember to change it.)


I have a "Quiet Area" inside my door for kiddos (or adults) to come in and relax. 
I always have quiet music playing for relaxation.


A small table for the little kiddos and baskets for all of my little things from
calming items to crayons and paper.


Rules for solving conflicts with others is posted because I talk with kiddos a lot about this topic.


My room is so big that my classroom lessons are taught in my room AND I have a SMART Board! 
I am one lucky lady!


A table for my bigger student friends to work.


My desk area.


Quote on the front of my desk.
"Be Yourself, Everyone Else is Already Taken."
~Oscar Wilde


Group/individual counseling area.


Group Expectations posted right by the group area.


Get your energy out area!  I have a can of "Wiggle Sticks" that kiddos choose from when they need a break.  The activities include: trampoline time, punching bag, weighted ball, theraputty, jumping jacks and a variety of other movement activities to help with reducing extra energy.






18 comments:

  1. Your classroom is such a peaceful place. My students love coming for sensory breaks! (and also to see their fave counselor!) You do a great job keeping it all about the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, thanks, BFF! You are the greatest ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of an energy out area! What a wonderful space you've created for your students :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I actually have a new office as of November. I will have to post new pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In love with your office. Really nice place to comfort the kiddooss!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What does the other sign below the "leave a note" sign say? Your room is FABULOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a poem called, "Glad to be Me." I can't remember where I found it. I would write it out for you but it got lost when I moved to my new office. I will add it if I ever find it.
      ~Emily

      Delete
  7. Hi Mr. Hansen,
    I love your decoration as a counselor.
    I'm counselor too.
    i hope that we could exchange our opinion/idea in this counseling field.
    Thank you.
    ~Nurul from Malaysia~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love sharing ideas!
      ~Emily

      Delete
  8. Your room is great! Can you tell me a little bit about your classroom management sticks? I'm the only counselor in a school with ~965 wonderful kids but have struggled with my management due to the sheer number. I'd love your insight on the sticks and perhaps I can incorporate them in my position as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow! That is a HUGE caseload!

      It is time consuming at first but saves time in the long run. You could enlist the help of each classroom to do the sticks for their class to lesson the time for you. Just give each class the sticks and have them write their names. I pick sticks for various activities to ensure that I get to each kiddo throughout the school year. I write their name on one end of the stick and then turn it over when I have called on them or they have participated. When I have their class the next time, I can tell who still needs to participate.

      Hope this helps!
      ~Emily

      Delete
  9. where did you get your "how are you feeling" pictures? i have seen several charts, but i love the size/emotions of the ones you have on your wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made each of them. I did not save the template, though. :(
      ~Emily

      Delete
    2. i guess i will have to make some of my own too :) grateful for the idea!

      Delete