Even through the midst of doubt there are numerous times that make everything worth it! Here is my "Christmas List." Instead of making a list of things that I want to receive, I have made a list of why I absolutely love and treasure my job!
Top 10 Reasons I LOVE my job:
- I work with EVERY student in the school.
- I help kiddos calm down when upset.
- I am able support teachers during stressful situations.
- I get the reward of watching kiddos grow from kindergarten to 5th grade.
- I am able to provide a safe place for students, parents and teachers to talk and share.
- I work with AMAZING people!
- I work in a community that embraces and supports anyone and everyone.
- I still get to teach!
- I get to advocate for kids.
- I have the privilege of organizing our "Adopt a Family" program and see the joy on the faces of the parents who did not know if their kids would get to have Christmas.
This Christmas will be horribly difficult for many due to the recent events in Newtown, CT. I hope everyone takes a minute to reflect on why they do their jobs, especially those who work with children. Being a counselor and former teacher has its ups and downs but I cannot imagine a more rewarding career!
Happy Holidays to all!